Home Energy Assistance

Programs available are Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) and Electric Universal Services Programs (EUSP).

MEAP benefits are for main heating sources:

  • Electric
  • Kerosene
  • Natural Gas
  • Oil
  • Propane Gas
  • Coal or Wood

EUSP benefits go toward a household’s current electric service (whose account must be in the applicant’s name); and, in some cases, for past accounts.

What Are The Eligibility Guidelines?
Households may be eligible if their total 30-day gross income is less than the following guidelines:

Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) Income Guidelines

Effective July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018

Gross income of all household members must be less than or equal to the following:

Household Size Gross Monthly Income Limits Gross Yearly Income Limits
1 $1,759 $21,105
2 $2,368 $28,420
3 $2,978 $35,735
4 $3,588 $43,050
5 $4,197 $50,365
6 $4,807 $57,680

For each additional person, add: $701/month $8,418/year

Who Is Eligible?

  • Retired individuals or couples
  • Working or unemployed persons
  • One- or two-parent families
  • Single individuals
  • Families without children
  • Homeowners
  • Renters who pay their own heat (HUD also)
  • Renters with heat included in rent
  • (HUD renters whose heat is included in rent can be eligible for EUSP only)

How and When to Apply?
Applications are taken year round. Both programs use the same application so you only need to apply once in the program year (July 1 – June 30).

Households receiving a benefit the previous program year will automatically be sent an application to reapply. They are mailed on a staggered basis.

Households not receiving a benefit the prior program year can call the OHEP office to request an application and appointment.



What Is Needed To Apply?

  • A completed application form
  • Proof of residence and identification
  • Names, birthdates and social security cards for everyone in the household
  • Proof of household’s 30-day gross income
  • Current gas and electric bills, if responsible for
  • Landlord’s name, address and phone number, if renting

If you have any further questions, call the Office of Home Energy Programs at 301-777-8550 or email energyassistance@alleganyhrdc.org