Weatherization Program

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP): The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) operated by the Department of Housing and Community Development helps eligible low-income households with the installation of energy conservation materials in their homes. These measures both reduce the consumption of energy and the cost of maintenance for these homes. Funding is provided by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the EmPower Maryland Program.

Eligible Applicants: Applicants must be income eligible (currently 200% of poverty) and able to prove ownership of the housing unit. For rental units, landlords must prove ownership and also agree to participate and invest. Priority is given to those who are elderly, disabled, have families with children and/or have the highest energy consumption.

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) assists low-income households in reducing the use of energy in their homes by 10 – 25%, thus reducing the cost of heating their home.

Possible work that can be done include:

  • Attic, floor and wall insulation
  • Weather stripping and caulking to reduce air leaks
  • Hot water heater jackets installation
  • Cleaning and maintenance performed on gas, kerosene and/or oil furnace
  • Window and door repair
  • Venting placed in the attic

What Are The Eligibility Guidelines?
Households may be eligible if their total 30-day gross income is less than the following guidelines:

Effective July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017

Family Size Gross Monthly Income Annualized Income
1 $1,945 $23,340
2 $2,621.67 $31,460
3 $3,298.33 $39,580
4 $3,975 $47,700
5 $4,651.67 $55,820
6 $5,328.33 $63,940
7 $6,005 $72,060
8 $6,681.67 $80,180
Each additional person add $338.33 $4,060

Call the OHEP for income limits for larger household sizes.

How and When to Apply?

Applications are taken year round. Application for WAP can be made at the same times as the OHEP (Energy Assistance) application. Both programs use the same application so you only need to apply once in a 12-month period.

What Is Needed To Apply?

  • A completed application form
  • Proof of residence and identification
  • Names, birthdates and social security cards for everyone in the household
  • Proof of household’s 30-day gross income
  • Current gas and electric bills, if responsible for
  • Landlord’s name, address and phone number, if renting

If you have any further questions regarding applying for the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), call the Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) at 301-777-8550.